7.08.2010

Take Care of Your Number One Tool


As online business owner/shoppers, we spend a lot of time on our computers. We don't think about it much, but all that time on your computer gives your hands a work out. Our hands and our wrists get tired and sore. It's important to take care of them daily.

I do hand massages often throughout the day. I had carpal tunnel surgery on my wrist several years ago and learned the importance of taking care of my hands.

As artists/crafters we use our hands all day long, so make sure you are taking care of your number 1 tool.

Easy self hand massage

Here is a like to simple steps for doing a hand massage - Self-Massage for your hands

This youtube video shows a great technique that you can do in less then a couple of minutes.





Try reflexology (also for overall health)

Reflexology is the physical act of applying pressure to the feet and hand with specific thumb, finger and hand techniques without the use of oil or lotion. it is based on a system of zones and reflex areas that reflect an image of the body on the feet and hands with a premise that such work effects a physical change to the body.

Here is a link to a chart for all the zones on your hands - A printable PDF chart

Hand care

Taking care of your hands and keeping them moisturized is important for their over all health.

Here are a few ideas for creating your own hand care products.

-Bee-Pollen Hand Cream- this can be made by using melted petroleum jelly, beeswax and glycerin. Using this cream on a daily basis makes your hand super soft.

-Cocoa-Butter Hand Cream- this is a wonder natural hand cream lotion having the goodness of cocoa and butter. Completely devoid of toxins and synthetic fragrance, including this cream in daily natural hand care regime is a good idea.


-Almond-Butter Hand Softener- this hand cream lotion has the goodness of almonds and butter. It leaves a beautiful fragrance on the hands and relaxes the tissues.


If you don't want to create your own products there are a variety of products available on Etsy.com.

Add some simple steps to your daily routine for taking care of your hands and they will stay strong and flexible.

What do you do to care for your hands?



Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

Pin It

7 comments:

  1. thanks for this! my hands are always sooooo beat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I swear by Cocoa Butter. Going to watch that massage video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reflexology! It works wonders for me. I am a single mom and the kidlet isnt really game for giving mommy a massage. So I am on my own. Guess what I can reach; my hands and feet. Great post!
    Stopping by to let you know I have moved to a new domain. You can see me at www.nothingbutfabulousity.com
    I have numerous giveaways, polls, and contests. Here is the sad part, with my move it appears I have lost all my comments. So if you have entered into anything I actually need you to zoom back and re-comment. If you havent entered into any of them, what are you waiting for? Get your butt over there!! HA!
    Site is under construction so please be patient.
    Stay Fabulous
    Chara
    www.nothingbutfabulousity.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice! I spend way too much time on the computer, so my svaroopa yoga teacher showed me a pressure pose for my wrists that helps a lot. I kneel in table pose with hands underneath shoulders, walk them a palm's length out, then lean into them for 30 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good idea! I never think about my hands when on the computer. Too concentrated at the screen...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is great. I'm a massage therapist and going to school we were hounded to take care of our hands. A good thing is to stretch the wrists. I like to go over to my bed and put my palms on the bed, but have them turned so your fingers are facing towards your body, not away, and lean into them, which stretches them. I think it's similar to what aquariann said. Also, being at the computer and work table for long periods usually has us forgetting about our posture. We need to get up every hour and stretch. Roll the shoulders back, open our arms wide to stretch the pecs, do some neck stretches. Anyways, I'll stop there. Good post, I hope lots of people follow the info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Aquariann and TheNikiProject for those extra tips!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and ideas are an important part of the conversation, thanks for sharing!