10.14.2010

Wabi - Sabi


examples of pieces I put aside

I do this all the time, I have an idea in my head, I create the piece and it does not look like the idea in my head so I put it aside. Sometimes I go back to the piece to see if I can use it, but most of the time I forget I have it.

What do you think about working with your flaws/mistakes?

Maybe we should think of our mistakes as a message from our mind, and it's telling us to go in a new direction. This is going to be my new train of thought, in my effort to not waste so much and trust my creative instinct.

There is a Japanese aesthetic called Wabi-Sabi, which is described as - beauty of things imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete. It is a beauty of things modest and humble. It is a beauty of things unconventional.

Maybe we need add a little Wabi-Sabi to our own work, and appreciate what we create, even with all of it's flaws.

Do you find that you scrap pieces because they don't look the way you want them to look?

Could you work with your flaws and create a new piece?



Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. i do that too at times if something doesn't look right i put it aside for awhile. i will try to go back & salvage it, but after i left it alone for awhile. i think i just need a break when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually take it apart right then instead of putting it aside and start all over. Then I usually mess it up again... take it apart and then take a moment to get out of that train of thought and come back to something new in a bit. I get pretty frustrated at that situation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love work work with the mishaps! Something neat always seems to result from it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Miss Val!

    Thanks for sharing your thougts today everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree- I think bending your intentions to mistakes helps us strengthen our creativity. But at the same time, sometimes you just want to keep the original idea going- sort of like one stream of thought interrupting another one. That's what breeds the feeling of overwhelm in the minds of artists I think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am the same way sometimes. It's almost as if I have crafting ADD or something. More often then not, I leave pieces unfinished.

    I SO do hate the idea of wasting materials as well. So much so, that I can't even throw away my scrap pieces. I always keep them in the event that I may eventually figure something else out with it.

    But the accidental masterpieces are always the best! It is both sad and funny at the same time when I create something by accident that is better than what I originally intended to create, only to not be able to recreate the the creation. Haha does that make any sense?

    Anyway, great blog. Cannot wait to read more!

    xoxo
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and ideas are an important part of the conversation, thanks for sharing!