7.18.2013

Tell Your Story

As artists we all have a story about why we create. Well it's time to use your story as a powerful marketing tool.

We have all heard it before, people want to know how you came up with the idea, what's your inspiration, and how you got started, it's their way of making a connection with the artist behind their purchase.

This is even more important when selling art online. They don't have the opportunity to meet you in person, but they still want that connection.

Each of our stories is interesting, even if we don't think so. So here are a few question to ask yourself to help you get started.

  • What initially sparked your interest in creating your craft?
  • How did you learn your particular medium?
  • How long have you been creating?
  • Do you only work in one medium or have your tried others?
  • What made you decide to start your business?

Your customers will ask you versions of these question over and over. Over time, you will be able to answer them easily, and this will become your story.

Now that you can easily express your story you have to tell it at every opportunity. You will be surprised how you can suck in your customers in with a great story. Remember you are your own best sales person.

Tell your story online as well, do an about me page on your blog, or any where else you have the opportunity. This will help your online customers connect with you. Also, photo's of you working are really add to the story.

If you do brochures, fliers, or any other type of promotional material, include your story where it will work best. Again the more places you can tell your story the easier it is for your customers to get to know you.

Take a moment and share a little of your story in the comments.


Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. My story begins and ends with fabric :D
    I'm thinking about printing flyers. Good idea to include the story in there too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've heard my saga. :) But I do need to practice incorporating some of that info into my listings and such. Making things that are affordable, of high quality, and also hypoallergenic has been big on my radar, so I really need to learn how to share that part of my story with people. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use my blog to help tell my story. I do need to add an About Page though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny you mention this, because I was just thinking that I need to fill out the "About" section in our Etsy shop (haven't done it yet!). Thanks, Valerie!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post to make us think! I love to use my blog as a way for customers so get familiar with who I am. I probably should elaborate on my About page!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a shopper and not a seller so I can definitely say that I'd really appreciate something like this from the artists I buy from. It's a special way to get to know the hands behind the craft and would keep me coming back for more! Great suggestion.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and ideas are an important part of the conversation, thanks for sharing!